Global Language Friendship
Global Language Friendship
Convert Language Barrier into Language Bridge through ICT.
Dominance of universal language such as English on Internet, signage and the majority of published texts is the main hurdle in education, career & communication for native language speakers. This factor resulting into a serious problem of Digital Divide. Travelling tourism & migration are part & parcel of life in globalization era. Language connections are inevitable. 'Global Language Friendship' project aims to - raise awareness about the cognitive, academic, social, cultural and economic benefits that language learning provides to students. Our mission is to 'Convert Language Barrier into Language Bridge' at early age.
Human is created as a social being, hence he/she is fashioned to socialize and build relationships towards other people, whether for business, friendship or romantic purposes. And in order to socialize naturally, he/she ought to communicate with other people in languages everybody can understand. Therefore, language plays an important role in building relationships. Benefits of learning a second language at an early age;
- has a positive effect on intellectual growth, Enriches and enhances a child's mental development.
- Leaves students with more flexibility in thinking, greater sensitivity to language, and a better ear for listening.
- Improves a child's understanding of his/her native language.
- Gives a child the ability to communicate with people s/he would otherwise not have the chance to know.
- Opens the door to other cultures and helps a child understand and appreciate people from other countries.
- Gives a student a head start in language requirements for college.
- Increases job opportunities in many careers where knowing another language is a real asset.
KHANDBAHALE.COM in close association with educationalist & linguists has designed a 6 month language friendship course for school level students. We have developed a number of templates, tools, resources, classroom ideas, and activities to help teachers, students, parents to learn commonly used vocabularies of different languages. One hour in a week is scheduled as "Global Language Friendship" hour. As a class work, in this particular hour students learn one word say for ex. 'boy' & what to say it in other languages. They try to learn new word themselves say for ex. 'girl' in multiple languages as a part of their home work. Couple of words a week increases useful vocabulary of students at their own space. Our intention is not to teach complete language but to create awareness & sensitivity towards other languages. At the end of the course, board of experts felicitates students with certification, which adds values to their academics and also increase their language confidence. In addition, we are conducting the specialized program for school drop-outs also. Our team go to villages & deploy languages dictionaries on their mobile phones.
We are implementing above course in 5 different schools. Response is satisfactory & encouraging. Benefits of learning new language can be realized. At the same time, feedback from school drop-outs is very surprising. They are learning new words while farming & doing their daily work.
- To design effective course to convert language barrier into language bridge.
- To conduct language learning program aggressively with high target.
- To offer this course in academic curriculum at large scale.
As of 2012, world is counting over 6 billion mobile subscribers, 1 billion computer users, 120 million tablet users, 2.5 billion Internet Users with increasing usage of broadband & 4G connections especially from rural areas. Students are used to handle electronics gadgets easily. Considering impact of technological revolution worldwide, 'Global Language Friendship' project can credibly contribute to 'Convert Language Barrier into Language Bridge' by means of language friendship through Information & Communication Technology (ICT).